www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk      l    Woodborough Photographic Recording Group © 2024      |      Terms of use   

Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday



Woodborough Hall from 1066 to 2023 - List of principal owners/occupiers.

This list covers a period of nearly 1,000 years it therefore may not be a complete list of occupants and it may not be totally accurate. Most of the entries have been compiled from official records.

Back to top Next page


1066




Taken from Ulchel an English thane by William the Conqueror and presented to his son William Peveril, along with most of Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire in exchange for a fixed number of soldiers.




The de Wodeburgs are mentioned in the Domesday book 1086.


1250



Ralf de Wodeburg, a Norman, and his successors,


1290



Ralph de Wodeburg’s manor passed to Henry de Wodeburg and his wife Emme,

Ralph de Wodeburg, son of the above,

Henry de Wodeburg, brother of above,

Hawisia de Wodeburg married Robert de Strelley,

Hawisia, daughter of Clementia married Henry de Wodeburg, her previous marriage to Hugh Sampson of Epperstone.


1316



The Strelleys,

William de Craye,

Paganus de Villers son of Clementia by another previous marriage to Matthew de Villers.



1337



Given to Richard de Strelley and his successors, Royalists in the Civil War.


1338



Paganus de Villers, son of Lady Clementia by her first husband,

Ralph de Wodeburg – married Emme.



1356



Samson de Strelley married Loucia de Foune,

Richard de Strelley who built Woodborough Church married Elena.



1388


Thomas de Strelley, son of the above,

Richard de Strelley, son of the above.



1447



John de Strelley, son of the above,

Richard de Strelley, son of the above,

John de Strelley, son of the above.



1491



Robert de Strelley, son of the above,

John de Strelley son of above married Elizabeth Barwick,

John Strelley, son of the above,

Henry de Strelley, son of the above,

Richard de Strelley, son of the above,

Christopher de Strelley, son of the above.



1622



Passed to Isabel Bold whose grandson, Strelley Bold, sold the lands to George Lacock in 1640,

Christopher Strelley married twice, no heirs by first marriage, settled his estate on sister Isobel, wife of John Bold,

John Bold married Isobel, sister of Richard and Christopher above.






Court Rolls began in 1626

 


1640



Bought by George Lacock, a Nottingham solicitor and a Roundhead. It is not clear if the lands and Hall were bought in the same year. The Hall was demolished and re-built between 1660 and 1670.


1750


Elizabeth Bainbrigge, who died in 1798.



1798


Left to her cousin, Rev'd Philip Story, a Roundhead, who removed the old roof and built a second storey making it a three storey structure. The Story's were mostly non-resident and the hall was successively let to Captain Fenwick, Mr Worth and Colonel Fenwick.

 


1827


Major John Bainbrigge Story, Captain Valentine Frederick Story of the 11th Foot Brigade.



1842


Sold to Mr John Ingall Werg. This was only the second sale since the Norman Conquest.



1852


Bought for £4500 by Mr Mansfield Parkyns, an explorer and soldier later buried at Woodborough Church on 12th January 1894.



1894



Bought by Mr Charles Hose Hill, a Nottingham company director.


1921


Mr Hubert Dowson and family.



1937


The Hall was bought by the Crown for use of several high-ranking officers.




From 1939 the Hall was occupied firstly by RAF officers,

then later from 1939 it was used by a number of senior high-ranking Army personnel until 1980.



1939


Air Vice Marshall Trafford Leigh-Mallory ACC 92 Fighter Group, RAF Hucknall.

Also Sir Richard Atcherley and Group Commander Chrisham, no other information about Messrs Atcherley or Chrisham.



1939


Major General R E Goodwin OBE, DSC, GOC 49 (West Riding and Midland) Infantry Division.



1959



Major General T H Birkbeck CB, CBE, DSO, GOC 49 (West Riding and North Midland) Division.


1962


Major General P J Glover CB, OBE, MA, GOC 49 (West Riding and North Midland) Division.



1964



Major General C M M Mann OB, OBE, MC, MA, GOC 49 (West Riding and North Midland) Division.


1966



Major General R Gordon-Finlayson GOC 49 (West Riding and North Midland) Division and East Midland District.


1969



Major General D A H Toler OBE, MC, GOC (East Midland District).


1973



Brigadier C M A Mayes, Brigadier for Eastern District.


1975


Brigadier M J A Tugwell, CBE, Brigadier for Eastern District (Nottingham).



1976



Brigadier D M Stileman, OBE, Brigadier for Eastern District (Nottingham).


1979


Brigadier R A Plummer, Brigadier for Eastern District (Nottingham).



1980


The Military ceased using the Hall in 1980 and it remained empty and unused for four years.



1984


Bought by Mr Oxby.



1988


The Hall was sold to Mr D Wright of Calverton to be developed into a residential nursing home.



2005


The Bellamy family bought and opened the Hall as a 'high end' restaurant but sold it in 2008.



2008


Mr & Mrs Timothy Lock,who ran a wedding events business.



2022


Kidd Hospitality bought the Hall and following a full refurbishment,

it was reopened in January 2023 as a wedding and events venue.


Acknowledgements:


__________________________________________________________________________________________