Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday

White’s Directory 1964

Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, in a narrow dale near the Dover Beck, eight miles north east by north of Nottingham. The parish contains 1940 acres of land, and in 1861 had 219 houses and 893 inhabitants. The common was enclosed in 1798, when 252 acres were allotted to the three prebendaries of Oxton and Woodborough—66 acres. 1 rood. 1 perch., to William Taylor Esq., and 53a. 3r. 11p. to the late John Bainbridge Storey Esq., in lieu of the great tithes and their manorial claims, they being both impropriators and lords of the manor, which is now in three divisions, called the Prebendal, the Copyhold, and the Freehold and estates. The latter now belongs to John Taylor Esq., and he, with Mr Noah Wood, Mansfield Parkyns Esq., Mr Richard Wells, the Misses Matthews, Thomas Huskinson Esq., the trustees of the late John Storey Esq., and the trustees of the late Miss Harvey are the principal owners. The hall was anciently the residence of the Strelleys and the Bainbridges, and is now the seat and property of Mansfield Parkyns Esq.

The church is a large structure, dedicated to St Swithin, and has some fragments of ancient armorial glass in its windows, which, when perfect, was exceedingly beautiful. It is a curacy, and has been augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty. The Chapter of Southwell is the patron, and the Rev’d Samuel Lealand Oldacres B.A., is the incumbent. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Free School founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood, in 1736, now possesses a yearly income of £95, arising from a farm of 58a. 2r. 1p. at Blidworth, and a cottage and 7a. 3r. 31p. at Stapleford. Rev’d S.L. Oldacres is the present master. The poor have 20 shillings and the singers 20 shillings yearly, from the bequest of William Edge, in 1796; and the former have 50 shillings yearly, as the rent of Nether Close, in Calverton parish, which was awarded to them at the enclosure. Feast, Sunday after the 2nd July,

Post Office at Henry James's. Letters arrive at 9.15 a.m., and are dispatched by 5.30 p.m.

Ashmore William - victualler Punch Bowl

Baguley Joseph - shoemaker

Baines Mr William, Shelt Hill

Bauser John - corn miller, land surveyor & valuer, Water Mill

Bish John - gardener

Clay Mary - straw bonnet maker

Clayton Henry - shopkeeper

Donnelly Thomas - framesmith

Fisher Richard - shoemaker

Flinders Mr Samuel

Foster John - shoemaker

Glover Sarah - shopkeeper

Hallam Joseph - blacksmith

Harrison Sarah - victualler, New Inn

Hart Francis - butcher

Hartshorne Francis-  butcher

Hind Amos - bag hosier

Hill William - brick and tile maker

Howitt William - bricklayer

James Henry - shopkeeper and broker

Leafe Joseph - beerhouse

Lee Mr John

Mellors Samuel - tailor

Morley Richard - tailor

Oldacres Rev’d Samuel L., B.A., incumbent and schoolmaster

Orme John - blacksmith

Parkyns Mansfield Esq., The Hall

Patching Mrs Maria

Revill William - victualler Four Bells

Richardson Aaron - parish clerk

Richardson John - bag hosier

Richardson Paul - shopkeeper

Robinson William - shopkeeper

Tharratt Nathaniel - wheelwright

Tomlinson Thomas - butcher

Ward William - joiner and wheelwright

Waters —, house and estate agent, Woodland Cottage

Wood William - joiner

Wyld Christopher - sink maker


Marked with an * are cottagers.

Bauser John, Water Mill

Clarke Thomas

* Clay William, Shelt Hill

* Cowley Mrs

Flinders William Thorpe

Hill William

Hogg William

* Lee Elizabeth

Morley John (and assistant overseer)

Parkyns Mansfield, The Hall

Poole John

Revill William

* Richardson Samuel

Scardison Agnes

Spiby William Wood

* Southern Joseph

* Southern Samuel

* Taylor William

Wells Richard

Wood Noah, Manor House

Wood Thomas, Moor

Carriers: William Ashmore, to Nottingham Wednesdays and Saturdays Joseph Poole, to Nottingham Wednesdays and Saturdays Richard Wharton, to Nottingham Wednesdays and Saturdays

Back to top Next page