Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday

Wright’s Directory 1885

Woodborough is a parish and large straggling village, in a narrow dell, near the Dover Beck, 6½ miles north east from Nottingham 3 north west from Lowdham station, and 141 miles from London, in south Notts, hundred of Thurgarton, Basford Union, Nottingham County Court district, rural deanery and diocese of Southwell. St Swithin’s Church is a large stone building, in which there are the remains of a good Norman doorway; the chancel is very large, and of the Decorated style, about the time of Edward III; the tower low perpendicular, the nave and aisles debased. The nave and aisles are separated by an arcade of four bays. In the windows are some fragments of ancient armorial glass. In the chancel there is a very fine sedilia, also an aumbry and piscina. It was re-pewed and partially restored a few years ago. There is a peal of four bells, also a clock. The Registers date from 1547 for baptisms, 1573 to marriages, and 1572 for burials. The vicarage is of the value of £300, with the residence and 55 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester. There is a small cemetery, with mortuary chapel and lich gate. William Edge, by will, July 29th 1796, devised his personal estate to his wife, subject to the payment of £40 to the churchwardens and overseers of the parish of Woodborough, the interest to be paid half-yearly as follows: moiety to the singers of Woodborough Church, and the other moiety among the poor widows of the parish. His widow gave up part of the personal property to Mr William Taylor, who has paid 20s. a year to the minister, and 20s. to the churchwardens, as the interest of the £40. The former sum is paid to a master for teaching ten boys and girls to sing psalms, and the latter is distributed on the day after Christmas amongst indigent widows.  

The Nether Close in Calverton, containing 1a 1r 13p., we are informed was awarded on the enclosure of the open fields of that parish to the poor of Woodborough, but it has been lost. The Free School, founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood in 1739, now possesses of £90 a year, with residence for the master, derived from a farm at Blidworth and land at Stapleford. New schools were built in 1878, at a cost of £1600, with accommodation for 150 scholars. The Baptists, Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel. Bricks are still made, but the hosiery trade has been depressed of late years, owing to the manufacture having been transferred to the large factories. The Feast is on the Sunday after July 2nd. The chief landowners are Mr M. Parkyns, Mr J.B. Taylor, Lieut.-Col. Seely, Mr Charles Shaw, and Mr R. Howett, the proprietor of a noted horse breeding establishment. Area, 1869a 0r 30p.; rateable value £4122 10s.; and in 1871 there were 898 inhabitants, in 1881, 889. Woodborough Dumble is 2½ miles west. St Swithin’s Church-services Sunday 10-30 and 6-30, and 3 on the third Sunday in the month. Communion first Sunday in the month. Rev’d F.G. Slight, B.A. wardens, Messrs E. Brett and R. Ward; organist, Miss E. Parkyns; clerk, J. Richardson. Hymns ancient and modern.

Chapel – services, Sunday 2-30 and 6. Wesleyan, chapel steward, James Statham; Primitive, Joseph Marriott; Baptist, William Robinson.

Post Office – John Foster, sub-postmaster. Letters from Nottingham delivered at 7-30. Box cleared at 6-10 week-days only. The nearest money order office is at Epperstone; telegraph office at Lowdham station.

Donnelly Mark, framesmith.

Hallam Joseph, blacksmith.

Hill William, brick maker, and at Saxondale.

Holland William, drainer.

Holmes Miss Charlotte, mistress of Endowed School.

Housley Frederick, master Endowed School, and tax collector.

Howett Robert, race horse breeder and proprietor, Woodborough Manor and stud farm.

Howitt William, bricklayer.

James Mr Henry

Marriott Joseph, framesmith.

Mellors Thomas, baker.

North John, coal dealer

Orme William, blacksmith.

Parkyns Mansfield Esq, Woodborough Hall.

Richardson Joseph, Parish Clerk.

Slight Rev’d Frederick Goode, B.A., The Vicarage.

Ward Richard, joiner and wheelwright.

Wyld Mrs Elizabeth

Bag Hosiers

Dring Henry

Dring James

Hind Amos

Richardson Samuel

Robinson Edward

Wyld William


Baguley John

Baguley Joseph

Cook John

Dalling William


Hartshorn John, & farmer.

Richardson Mark

Tomlinson Mrs Martha


Alvey Mrs Charlotte, & market gardener

Bish John, & gardener

Brett Edward, & valuer

Dring George, Shelt Hill

Hancock John

Howitt William, & bricklayer

Reavill John

Roe John, Foxwood House

Southern Joseph

Southern William

Taylor William


Dixon Mrs Sarah

Marriott Miss Eliza

Richardson Mrs Selina

Stevenson Mrs Ann


Chantrey George, & landowner

Flinders William Thorpe

Hartshorn John, & butcher & gardener

Hartshorn Thomas, & miller

Howett Robert, & race horse breeder & proprietor, Woodborough Manor & stud farm.

Peatfield John, bailiff to Mr R. Thorpe

Poole John, bailiff to Colonel Seely, Woodborough Woods.

Poole Joseph

Reavill William, & victualler Four Bells

Shaw Charles, h Nottingham Park

Stevenson William, Stoup Hill

Thorpe Robey, h Nottingham

Wood Thomas


Alvey Mrs Charlotte, & cottager

Bish John, & nurseryman

Clay William

Dring George, & huckster

Dring Henry

Dring James

Hartshorn Francis

Hartshorn John

Plumb Joseph

Southern Joseph, & cottager


Ashmore William, victualler New Inn

Hogg William Junior, victualler Nag’s Head

Leafe Joseph, beerhouse, Bugle Horn

Reavill William, farmer & victualler Four Bells

Whitworth William Surplice, victualler Punch Bowl


Co-operative Stores, John Clayton Manager

Foster John, & sub-postmaster

Marriott Joseph

North William

Richardson Mrs Ann

Richardson John

Smith Mrs Ann

Turner Miss Eliza


Ashmore William, to Nottingham Wednesdays & Saturdays

Dunthorne James, to Nottingham Wednesdays & Saturdays

Back to top Next page