Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday
A Geographical Community Study - 1967 By C. Wardle
The Parish of Woodborough in 1967
[Photos and plans have not been included and there are small amounts of editing]
History to 1967
The first settlement in the parish was by the Romans during their occupation of Britain. This settlement took the form of a hill fort on the hills between Woodborough and Calverton and is still visible today in the form of ditches and mounds. The Romans evacuated this site in about 350 AD. During this period there was a Roman missionary who preached the teachings of Christianity in this area. However, with the departure of the Romans, Christianity was forgotten until the arrival of the Missions from Iona and Lindisfarne. As a result of their teachings the Danes were converted to Christianity in 879 AD and it is thought that Woodborough’s first church was built by them between 900 AD and 1086 AD. The reason for thinking this is that any church built before 879 AD, would have been built by the Saxons, and, this the Danes would not have allowed.
During this time Woodborough was called “Udesburg” and it was under this name that Woodborough was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. From the section under Udesburg it is estimated that the population was something under 200, there being three manors run by eleven villains, three bordars and a number of labourers; and a farm belonging to the local bishop who was also managed by local peasants.
From Domesday to 1589 very little is known about Woodborough. However, in 1589, the Rev. William Lee invented the stocking frame, an invention which not only changed the lives of his friends and neighbours, but also the complete stocking and hosiery industry of Britain. Very little fact but a vast amount of tradition surrounds the life of Lee. He was definitely vicar of Calverton and he had a house in Woodborough. It is not known whether he was born in Woodborough or Calverton and it is not known at which of these two villages he died. After his invention the hosiery industry thrived and silk hose for Queen Elizabeth I and later the first Kaiser were made here. The Civil War affected the industry little, but the ream boom did not come until 1765, after which the population increased from 200 to 800 in the next sixty years. In 1844 there were 191 frames in the parish.
In spite of the increase in population wages were low and food scarce, and as a result the Woodborough Male Friendly Society was formed in 1824. The idea of the Society was to try and better the lives of its members. In 1847 it bought 16 acres of land which it let off as allotments to its members, so that they could grow enough food to feed their families. By 1860 the membership was 200 men. The forming of the Society was very significant in the future development of the village, as today’s highly specialised market gardening was inherited from the Society. In 1875 Sir Joseph Paxton introduced his strawberry which was brought to Woodborough by John Plumb. These were grown successfully and sold in large quantities in Nottingham, providing a healthy income for the otherwise poor stockingers.
After 1896 the hosiery industry began to decline. This was because of two factors. Firstly, steam power had enabled the industry to become much more efficient and areas which kept to the hand frame, such as Woodborough, could not compete. Secondly, the McKinley tariffs were passed in the USA. These imposed heavy duties on imported hosiery, a lot of which came from Britain - and Woodborough. The industry kept going until the beginning of the First World War and then declined rapidly, the last frame going out of the village in the early 30’s (1930’s).
Hosiery wasn’t the only industry in Woodborough. Until 1892 there was a brickworks halfway up Bank Hill on the left hand side. It is not certain when the brick industry began but it probably started around 1750. Bricks, tiles and chimney pots were made, all by hand. About 20 men were employed at the works and bricks were supplied to Lambley as well as Woodborough. The clay was dug out of the hillside behind the works. This industry ceased in 1892 because a method had been found of moulding bricks by machine and more reliable kilns had been developed; the old ones tended to burn the bricks.
From this history one can see that Woodborough was a predominantly industrial community until the 1920’s. With the final retirement of the stocking frame in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, the stockingers began to develop their allotments for market gardening and today market gardening, and cereal and livestock farming are the only two occupations carried out in the parish.
The Parish of Woodborough is in Nottinghamshire and lies between latitudes 53o 0’ 45” and 53o 2’ 10”, and longitudes 1o 1’ 30” west and 1o 6’ 45” west of Greenwich. It is a small country parish 8 miles north east of Nottingham and covers an area of 2023 acres, about 3 square miles. In April 1967 there was a population of 876.
Woodborough has three bordering parishes. Of the four, Calverton is by far the largest with 3424 acres (5 & 1/3 square miles). The other three parishes are very similar in area. Lambley has an area of 2174 acres (3 & 1/3 square miles): Epperstone has 2503 acres (just under 4 square miles): and Woodborough has an area of 2023 acres (3 square miles).
It is not known when the parish boundaries were made although it is thought that they may have dated from Domesday (1086), and it is reasonably certain that they have changed little since that time. No single factor seems to have dictated the course of these boundaries as they follow high and low ground, streams and roads. Although the areas are similar in three out of four parishes, none have correspondingly similar shapes, and in no case is the centre of population in the middle of the parish.
The most densely populated parish is Calverton. In 1961 the population was 5,658, giving a high density of 1067 per square mile. This is very high compared with the other three parishes because it has a thriving industry, namely coal-mining. The other three parishes are purely agricultural communities, with a large number of commuters in the cases of Lambley and Woodborough. Using the figures for 1961, the population of Lambley was 979 and the density 297 per square mile. Woodborough had a population of 747 and a density of 249 per square mile. Epperstone’s figures are rather lower, 455 and 144 per square mile. In the last year or so there has been a significant increase in the number of commuters living in Woodborough and Lambley, and this has not occurred in Epperstone.
The Age of Buildings and present Developments
The oldest house in the Parish is a three storey farmhouse which was built in 1710. Three years ago a row of cottages, next to the Post Office [old], were knocked down; these were built in 1680. Since 1710 building has been spaced out regularly through the years. Of course the oldest building in the Parish is the church which dates from 1356. Some parts of it date from the twelfth century. Since 1965 a considerable amount of building has been taking place. It was in this year that the County Council announced that Woodborough was to become an expanding village and that at the end of the expansion developments Woodborough would have a population of 2,100. So far two development sites are completed and four are in the process of being developed. Building permission has been granted for another half dozen sites. A school for 200 pupils is being built to replace the old one.
Woodborough is quite well supplied with shops and general services considering its small population. There are [in 1967]:-
5 general stores, one of which is a supermarket and the other, the Post Office.
2 pubs [Nags Head and Four Bells]
1 general purpose garage
1 pumps only garage
1 milk roundsman
1 coal merchant
1 district nurse
There is no doctor in the Parish, the nearest being at Calverton just over one mile away. The nearest police are in Calverton although the County Headquarters is in Epperstone only 1½ miles away. The nearest ironmonger, greengrocer and bakery are also in Calverton. However, a greengrocer’s van does rounds in the village twice a week. A baker’s van does the rounds three times a week.
There are three places of worship in the Parish. There is St Swithun’s Church which is Church of England, a Methodist chapel and a Baptist chapel. The nearest Roman Catholic Church is in Calverton.
There is one school, a State Aided Church of England Foundation school which has seventy pupils and seven teachers.
About 60% of the houses of Woodborough have telephones. They first came to the Parish in 1912. Electricity first came to the Parish in 1929. Until 1964 there was only one transformer which was severely overloaded and this resulted in very irregular voltage and frequent power failures. Now, there are three transformers which ensure regular voltage and supply. Piped gas came to the Parish in 1965.
The Parish is well served by road communications. The roads are small but reasonably straight and direct, to other villages. At the eastern end of the parish there is a very good “A” class road which joins the Nottingham-Ollerton road to the Fosse Way which runs south of the Trent. That part of the road in the parish was built quite recently to by-pass Epperstone.
Woodborough is served by two buses. Nottingham can be reached once every hour; Calverton once every two hours; Epperstone once every two hours and Lambley once every hour. There is no railway station in the parish, the nearest being at Lowdham, 3½ miles to the south east.
Woodborough lies 26 miles east of the Pennines, and 45 miles west of the nearest point of the sea, which in fact is the westernmost point of the Wash. The Pennines effectively shelter the village from the prevailing rain-bearing winds from the west and the south west. The rainfall of the village, as well as the remainder of the Midlands, is therefore well below the national average. The late spring is usually the driest part of the year and the early winter the wettest.
Owing to its distance from the sea, Woodborough experiences some of the lowest temperatures of the country in winter, and in summer only south eastern England has higher mean temperatures.
During the summer months of July and August, Woodborough suffers from severe thunderstorms. In some years, the highest frequency of thunder in the country has been recorded in the Trent valley just south of Woodborough.
The Nottingham area is particularly noted for its fogs and Woodborough is no exception. The higher ground to the west of the parish is most susceptible, where there is an annual average of about 44 days with fog (visibility less than 1100 yards). The worst months for thick fogs (visibility less than 220 yards) are November, December and January.
The temperatures of Woodborough vary considerably, from around 38o fahrenheit in January, to 60o fahrenheit in July, a temperature range of 24o. This high temperature range is due to the central positioning of Woodborough within the land mass of Great Britain, and consequently, the lack of marine influence.
The rainfall of Woodborough is pretty consistent throughout the year with a slight winter maximum. Recently (1967) as much as 5 inches of rainfall have been recorded for one month, but this is exceptional. The annual rainfall is 24 inches, rather less than most places owing to its sitting in the rain shadow of the higher ground in the neighbouring parish of Arnold to the west of Woodborough and the Pennines 26 miles to the west of the parish.
As no figures of temperature and rainfall have been recorded in Woodborough, the figures given on the graph are taken from two places which are comparable. The temperatures are taken from the most up to date long-term records for Woodthorpe (1926–1950). The rainfall figures are taken from the records for Sneinton Pumping Station (1932–1956). Both of these places are near Woodborough.
The parish lies in a small valley which runs from west to east, widening out to the north east, and joined in the south by a much smaller valley of about one mile in length. Both valleys are mature, (features are rounded and slopes gradual) with small streams in the bottom which meet at the main road towards the eastern end of the village. Surface deposits under the soil are of the Triassic and Holocene periods. By far the greatest part of the parish is covered by Keuper marl and Waterstones of the Triassic period. Round the streams however, these deposits are covered by between 6 foot and 12 foot of alluvium of the Holocene period.
In the north east of the parish there is a wide band of alluvium which follows the courses of the Dover Beck and Grimesmoor Dyke. These two streams run in a south easterly direction, in the direction of a dip in the Triassic rocks which lie under the alluvium. Bunter debris has been washed down by these streams giving the alluvium a brownish colour and a much more loamy texture than that of other local alluviums. The bore at Grimesmoor, made in 1897, showed the underlying structure of the Dover Beck area.
West of the Dover Beck, apart from the thin bands of alluvium, Waterstones predominate with Keuper marls on the higher ground. These Waterstones lie on Bunter deposits which in turn lie on Permian rocks which are to be found at about 450 feet. These Waterstones, which are about 22 feet thick, are exposed in the road going from the Dover Beck to Calverton, and also in the road and stream banks near Woodborough Hall.
In spite of the fact that at some time during the Ice Age Woodborough was covered by ice, there is no evidence of glacial drift in the parish, and only a few small pockets in the rest of the county.
Until 1920 all water was obtained from either springs or wells. However, in 1920, piped water was made available to a limited number of properties. The owner of Woodborough Hall installed a wind pump 200 ft deep. This pumped water to a brick reservoir on the hill near Fox Covert. The water was then gravitated to properties situated within the square formed by Manor Farm, The Hall, Bank Farm and Wood Barn Farm.
The present piped water system was installed in 1938. The water is pumped from the Bunter sandstone at three stations. Halam, Ompton and Markham Clinton − to Oxton reservoir which has a capacity of approximately nine million gallons. From the reservoir there is a 27 inch pipeline which goes to Lambley. In Woodborough this pipeline follows Roe Hill and Lingwood Lane. Where it crosses the main street two 3 inch pipes are let into it. One runs east along the main street, the other west. Other three inch pipes branch off at road intersections (see map). The average consumption per head for domestic use is 27.87 gallons per day, 20.37 gallons per day for Trade use.
Prior to 1965 there was no pipe drainage system for sewage, cess pits and Elson closets being used. Now, however, only houses off the main roads or not obviously joined to the main are served by cess pits or closets.
The present system takes the sewage to a sewage farm in Calverton. The sewage is gravitated in the six inch pipes from the western end of the village to a pumping station at the eastern end. From there it is pumped in a five inch pipe to the sewage farm (see map).
Woodborough’s agriculture is of two types, cereal and livestock farming, and market gardening. Out of a total of 2030 acres, 1,550 acres are under cereal and livestock farming and 450 acres under market gardening. In spite of the fact that ¾ of the acreage is under cereal and livestock farming there are only 15 holdings, as opposed to 21 which do market gardening. One can see from this that the cereal and livestock holdings are generally larger. This is because it is uneconomical to practise this type of farming on a small holding. Market gardening, on the other hand, can be very successful on holdings of only a few acres, as income per acre is very high. About half the total numbers of agricultural workers are employed in market gardening. This is due to the lack of mechanisation in market gardening compared with that in cereal and livestock farming.
Given below are the details of two farms, including tables of their main products, the number of acres devoted to them, and the average output. It must be noted that output varies considerably from year to year within one farm, because of weather and climatic change. Output also varies from farm to farm because of the different types of soil.
Firstly, there is a 32 acre farm which does market gardening. There are three full time workers and two part time who work for 6 months of the year.
Secondly, there is a 617 acre cereal and livestock farm. However, only 210 acres are actually within the parish boundaries. Livestock figures for this farm, do, in some cases, exceed the total number of livestock for the parish (e.g. pigs), but this is because most of the livestock is kept in the neighbouring parish of Lambley. Eight workers are employed full time on the farm. Crop rotation is five consecutive years with cereals following by two years under grass for livestock.
Livestock: 157 cattle, 325 pigs, 112 sheep – 100 ewes sheared once a year. Some of this livestock is sold at Nottingham Market and some to private buyers – as are all the cereal crops.
As well as livestock and cereal farming, and market gardening, there are two specialist holdings in the parish, one of which grows roses and the other, bulbs. These two holdings are at the eastern end of the parish, on the reddish clayey soils to the south of Lowdham Lane. The bulb holding covers ten acres, the rose holding 16 acres.
The soils of the parish fall under two main types (a) alluvial soils (b) clay soils. The former only occurs in the immediate vicinity of the four streams, Dover Beck and Grimesmoor Dyke, the other two not being named. The most extensive area of alluvial soils is in the north-east of the parish. The rest of the land is composed of clay soils. These clay soils are more fertile than the alluvial soils but they are much harder to drain. Several tile drainage schemes have been undertaken in recent years by farmers.
The figures for the following six lists were taken from the summary return sheet for June 1966.
The occupations of the population
The occupations of the villagers vary considerably, from scientists to hairdressers to secretaries. However, more general statements can be made. The male working population is about 40% of the total population, 350 out of 876. The rest of the population, 526, includes women, children and retired men. 50% of the working population work on the land of the Parish, 175 out of 350. 36% commute to Nottingham: 9% work in other parishes, mostly in the coal mine in Calverton: and 5% work in the shops of the Parish. With the future development of Woodborough, there are going to be less people on the land and a large increase in the number of people commuting to Nottingham.
|Links to other websites|
|Locate our village|
|Navigate this site|
|Report a problem|
|100 - 114 St Swithuns Church - Index|
|115 - 121 Churchyard & Cemetery - Index|
|122 - 128 Methodist Church - Index|
|129 - 131 Baptist Chapel - Index|
|132 - 133 Institute - Index|
|100 - Church Introduction|
|101 - Church History from 1100|
|102 - Pevsners Buildings of England|
|103 - Train on Churches|
|104 - History of St Swithuns Bells|
|105 - Church Bells Project 2008|
|106 - Bell Ringers|
|107 - 50 Years of Peel Ringing|
|108 - Church Clock|
|109 - Church Mass Dials & Graffiti|
|110 - Church Organ|
|111 - Church Restorations|
|112 - Church Windows & Saints|
|113 - Prebends, Vicars & Patrons|
|114 - 600th Anniversary|
|115 - Churchyard Introduction|
|116 - Act of Parliament|
|117 - Survey of Churchyard Memorials|
|118 - Churchyard Survey (List of Burials)|
|119 - Churchyard Fauna & Flora|
|120 - Roe Hill Cemetery|
|121 - Roe Hill Cemetery (List of burials)|
|122 - Non-Conformists|
|123 - Primitive Methodists|
|124 - Primitive Methodists - The Story of the Years|
|125 - Wesleyan Methodists (New Chapel)|
|126 - Methodist Church from 1960|
|127 - Methodist Church 1985|
|128 - Methodist Church 2009 Renovations|
|129 - A History of the Chapel|
|130 - Baptist Chapel School (Lilly's School)|
|131 - Baptist Chapel internment|
|132 - The Institute from 1826|
|133 - Institute extracts from minutes|
|134 - 138 Woodborough Hall - Index|
|139 - 142 The Manor House Index|
|143 - Nether Hall|
|134 - Woodborough Hall 1066-2004|
|135 - Woodborough Hall Staircase windows|
|136 - Strelley Deeds of 1335 & 1337|
|137 - Woodborough Hall in 1966|
|138 - Woodborough Hall Restaurant from 2004|
|139 - The History of the Middle Manor|
|140 - Manor Farm & Stables|
|141 - Robert Howett & Mundens Hall|
|142 - The Wood Family|
|144 - Shops & Trades in Woodborough|
|145 - Woodborough Industrial & Provident Socy|
|146 - Co-op closure|
|147 - Woodborough Post Office & News|
|148 - Pubs & Beerhouses|
|149 - Punch Bowl inquest|
|150 - Woods School 1736-1878|
|151 - Woods School 1878-1968|
|152 - Woods School 1968-2007|
|153 - Woods School Photographs|
|154 - School Bell|
|155 - School Reunion 2004|
|156 - School Fence 2010|
|157 - Head Teachers|
|158 - Billy the Pig|
|159 - Millholme Models at the Old School|
|160 - Buildings of historic interest|
|161 - Brickmaking in Woodborough|
|162 - Calverton Lido|
|163 - Old Vicarage - an introduction|
|164 - Old Vicarage|
|165 - Old Post Office and Telephone Exchange|
|166 - The Woodborough Pinfold|
|167 - Pinfold Appendix|
|168 - Woodborough Dovecote|
|169 - Woodborough Mill|
|170 - Mills on the Doverbeck|
|171 - Woodborough Poor Houses|
|172 - Timmermans|
|174 - Yards in Woodborough|
|201 - 203 Buclkand's History of Woodborough|
|204 - 211 Buckland Chapters 1 to 8 - Index|
|212 - 218 Buckland Chapters 9 to 15 - Index|
|219 - 223 Framework Knitting Industry - Index|
|224 - 227 Community Studies - Index|
|228 - 242 Directories 1832 to1881|
|243 - 254 Directories 1883 to1899|
|255 - 265 Directories 1900 to1941|
|201 - Buckland - Introduction & Obituary|
|202 - Buckland Title & Preface|
|203 - Buckland Chapter List & Summaries of Content|
|204 - Buckland I - Woodborough Before The Conquest|
|205 - Buckalnd II - Woodborough at the Conquest|
|206 - Buckland III - The Lords of Woodborough|
|207 - Buckland IV - The Lacocks|
|208 - Buckland V - Southwell Minster & Woodborough Church|
|209 - Buckland VI - The Decay & Restoration of Woodborough Church|
|210 - Buckland VII - Southwell Minster & The Prebends|
|211 - Buckland VIII - The Prebends of Woodborough|
|212 - Buckland IX - Southwell Minster & The Reformation|
|213 - Buckland X - William Lee & The Stocking Frame|
|214 - Buckland XI - The Civil Wars|
|215 - Buckland XII - The Vicars of Woodborough|
|216 - Buckland XIII - The Woods & Wood's School|
|217 - Buckland XIV - Woodborough Hall|
|218 - Buckland XV - The Woodborough Registers & Papers|
|219 - Introduction to the History of FWK in Woodborough|
|220 - Antiquities, Trades & Manufactures Blackner 1815|
|221 - Trades & Manufactures extracts from Whites Directory 1864|
|222 - Buckland's Account of FWK 1896|
|223 - William Lee's Knitting Invention by Negley Harte|
|224 - 19th Century Woodborough|
|225 - Community Study 1967|
|226 - Community Study 1974|
|227 - Community Study 1990|
|228 - Shops & Trades from Census|
|229 - Shops & Trades - List|
|230 - Trade Directories Introduction & lists|
|231 - 1832 White's|
|232 - 1844 White's|
|233 - 1848 Lascelles & Hagar|
|234 - 1853 White's|
|235 - 1855 Kelly's|
|236 - 1864 White's|
|237 - 1868 Wright's|
|238 - 1869 Morris's|
|239 - 1871 Wright's|
|240 - 1874 Wright's|
|241 - 1879 Wright's|
|242 - 1881 Kelly's|
|243 - 1883 Wright's|
|244 - 1885 Wright's|
|245 - 1888 Kelly's|
|246 - 1889 Wright's|
|247 - 1891 Wright's|
|248 - 1893 Wright's|
|249 - 1894 White's|
|250 - 1895 Wright's|
|251 - 1895 Kelly's|
|252 - 1897 Wright's|
|253 - 1899 Wright's|
|254 - 1899 Kelly's|
|255 - 1900 Kelly's|
|256 - 1904 Kelly's|
|257 - 1908 Kelly's|
|258 - 1912 Kelly's|
|259 - 1916 Kelly's|
|260 - 1922 Kelly's|
|261 - 1925 Kelly's|
|262 - 1928 Kelly's|
|263 - 1932 Kelly's|
|264 - 1936 Kelly's|
|265 - 1941 Kelly's|
|300 - Charities|
|301 - Woodborough at Domesday|
|302 - Roffe's Domesday|
|303 - Nottinghamshire County Records of the 18th Century|
|304 - Thoroton's Parish Visitation 1677|
|305 - Thoroton Transactions 1908|
|306 - Thoroton subsequent visits 1911 to 1939|
|307 - Drummond's Parish Visitation 1764|
|309 - Frumenty Feast|
|310 - Liber Albus Book of Southwell|
|311 - Liber Albus (Latin supplement)|
|312 - Evening classes|
|313 - Rural District Nurse|
|314 - Church Band of Hope|
|321 - Bus Services to Woodborough|
|322 - Carol (The Woodborough)|
|323 - World Refugee Year|
|324 - Feast Steam Evenings|
|325 - Jubilee Year 1951|
|326 - Jubilee Year 1977|
|327 - Woodborough Village Sign|
|328 - Smalls Croft Maypole|
|329 - Woodborough Book Exchange|
|330 - Millennium Beacon|
|331 - Millennium Tapestry|
|332 - Newsletter|
|333 - Newsletter archives|
|338 - Snowstorm - December 1990|
|339 - Services & Utilities|
|340 - Woodborough Plane Crash 1966|
|341 - Woodborough Plane Crash 50th anniversary|
|345 - Introduction to the History of Woodborough|
|346 - Joseph Marriott's History of Woodborough 1892|
|347 - Bosworth's Woodborough 1940|
|348 - Woodborough circa 1952|
|349 - Living in Woodborough in the 50's|
|350 - Woodborough in 1956|
|351 - Countryside Treasures by the WI 1968|
|352 - Nottinghamshire Village Book by Notts WI|
|353 - Woodborough: Down-Your-Way 1969|
|354 - History of Woodborough by Maureen Brackenbury 1970's|
|355 - History of Woodborough by Mannie Foster 1981|
|400 - 402 Drains & Dykes - Index|
|403 - 412 Flooding - Index|
|413 - 420 Woodlands - Index|
|421 - 437 Enclosure 1795 - Index|
|440 - 451 Land Misc - Index|
|400 - Introduction|
|401 - Woodborough Dykes at Enclosure 1795|
|402 - A Study of Land Drainage & Farming Practices|
|403 - Water Mains - A History of burst pipes|
|404 - Photographs from previous flooding|
|405 - Nottingham Evening Post Report - December 1994|
|406 - Flooding of the Sycke Dyke - January 1999|
|407 - The Co-op Site - August 2004|
|408 - Public Meeting for Woodborough Flood Precautions - January 2005|
|409 - Flooding in Woodborough - Summer 2007|
|410 - Additional Photographic record - Summer 2007|
|411 - A Public Meeting to discuss flooding in Woodborough - September 2007|
|412 - What has happened since 2007? This 2009 update provides the answers|
|413 - An Introduction to woodlands|
|414 - Stanley Wood|
|415 - Ploughman Wood|
|416 - Fox Wood|
|417 - Fox Wood 1941|
|418 - Fox Wood 1982 - A new future?|
|419 - Fox Wood Victoria County History|
|420 - Fox Wood 2005 Archaeological Dig|
|421 - Woodborough field names from 1400|
|422 - Woodborough in 1609|
|423 - Enclosure 1795 map|
|424 - Enclosure new intro (2)|
|426 - Enclosure modern (1)|
|427 - Enclosure modern (2)|
|428 - Enclosure modern (3)|
|429 - Enclosure modern (4)|
|430 - Enclosure modern (5)|
|431 - Enclosure modern (6)|
|432 - Enclosure modern (7)|
|433 - Post Enclosure 1798 field & plots|
|434 - Woodborough a Sherwood Forest Village|
|435 - Woodborough a History of farming|
|436 - Woodborough Parish Registers|
|440 - Allotments|
|441 - Earthquakes or Mining Activity?|
|442 - Estate Sale 1876|
|443 - Estate Sale 1894|
|444 - Estate Sale 1922 (Introduction)|
|445 - Estate Sale 1922 (Catalogue)|
|448 - Orchards of Nottinghamshire|
|449 - Wind Water Pumps|
|450 - Woodborough in Bloom & Judging|
|500 - Woodborough United Brass Band|
|501 - Wednesday Club|
|502 - Woodborough Pioneer Club|
|503 - Horticultural Society|
|504 - Community Association|
|505 - Court Leet Jury|
|506 - Girls' Friendly Society|
|507 - Male Friendly Society by Julie O'Neill|
|508 - Male Friendly Society by Peter Saunders|
|509 - Male Friendly Society dissolution|
|510 - Woodborough Parish Council|
|511 - Woodborough Parish Council reports|
|512 - Woodborough Photographic Recording Group|
|513 - Local History Group Programme of Events|
|514 - Fosters a century as postmasters|
|People A to H 600+|
|People L to W 620+|
|600 - ALVEY William 1909-1986|
|601 - BAINBRIDGE Elizabeth|
|602 - BLAKE Stacey|
|603 - BROWN Rev'd George|
|604 - BUCKLAND Rev'd Walter E|
|605 - BURGESS David Olympic Torch Bearer|
|606 - EVANS Rev'd A J|
|607 - FOSTER John Mansfield 1912-2006|
|608 - GEE Connie|
|609 - HILL Charles Hose|
|610 - HILL Charles Hose - Services to Woodborough|
|611 - HOSKINS Shirley 1927-2010|
|620 - LEE William 1838-1920|
|621 - LICHFIELD Nina 1901-2002|
|622 - MARRIOTT Joseph|
|623 - PARKYNS Mansfield 1823-1894|
|624 - PARKYNS Mansfield Obituary|
|625 - RICHARDSON John|
|627 - STRELLEY Richard|
|628 - WHYSALL Bill 1887-1930|
|629 - WRIGHT Nora poems & photos|
|700 - War Memorial Introduction|
|701 - War Memorial WWI|
|702 - Woodborough during WWI|
|703 - War Memorial WWII|
|704 - Woodborough during WWII|
|705 - Woodborough in WWII by Mannie Foster|
|706 - German POW rescue act|
|707 - Woodborough Home Guard|
|800 - Footpaths Introduction|
|801 - Lapwing Trail|
|802 - WI Trail|