Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday

Lascelles & Hagar’s Directory 1848

Woodborough – 8 miles northeast by north of Nottingham, inhabitants, 1801; acres 1940. The Prebendal copyhold and freehold estates possesses the manorial rights. The church is dedicated to St Swithin: the chapter of Southwell possesses the patronage. The poor have 20s. [shillings] yearly, and the singers the same amount, from the bequest of William Edge, in 1796; and the former also 50s. yearly, as the rent of Nether Close in Calverton parish. The free school was founded by the Rev’d Montague Wood, in 1736; it has an income of £95, arising from a farm of 58a. 2r. 1p., [that is: acres, rudes, perches] at Blidworth; and a cottage with 7a. 4r. 31p., at Stapleford. The Hall, anciently the residence of the Strelleys and the Bainbridges, is now occupied by John Ingall Werge Esq.  [In 1842 the Hall was sold with 53 acres of land to Mr John Ingall Werge who sold to Mr Mansfield Parkyns in 1852]. The feast is on the Sunday after the 2nd July.

Woodborough Parish

Abbott Miss Mary, Stoup Hill

Donnelly Mr William

Foster Richard, Manager at Epperstone Paper Mill

Glover John, Parish Clerk

Harvey Mrs Mary

Morley John, Constable, assistant overseer, and poor-rate collector

Oldacre Rev’d Samuel Lealand, perpetual curate and master of free school

Werge John Ingall Esq., Woodborough Hall

Classification of Trades etc.


Culley George, (and shopkeeper)

James Henry, (and shopkeeper)

Beer Retailers

Richardson Paul


Hallam Joseph

Orme John

Boot and Shoe Makers

Baguley Joseph

Beeby William

Fisher Richard

Foster Thomas

Southern Samuel


Patching Henry Watson

Brick, Tile, Draining Pipe Maker

Dodds John Gresham, (and Farmer)


Lee Thomas, (and Cottager)

Cattle Dealer

Williamson John

Corn Miller

Seardison David Scothern, (and farmer) Woodborough Mill


Barratt Joseph, Woodland

Bartram Michael

Clay William, (and Constable)

Cowley Richard

Howitt Sarah

Lee Thomas

Pool George, (and Carrier)

Southern Joseph

Southern Samuel

Stevenson John

Wyld Nathaniel


Crafts George

Cumberland John

Cumberland William

Dodds John Gresham, (Brick, Tile and Draining Pipe Maker)

Duke William, Brockwood Dale

Gadsby William, (Four Bells Inn)

Hodgkinson John, Park Farm

Hogg John

Hogg Sarah and William

Poole John, Grimesmoor

Poole William, Wood Farm

Seardison David Scothern, (and Corn Miller)

Woodborough Mill

Wells John, (Overseer of the poor, & draper), shop, Cheapside, Nottingham

Wyld Elizabeth, (and shopkeeper)


Donnelly Thomas

Ragsdale Thomas


Bish John, (market)


Hucknall Walter Carrington, (draper & coal agent)

Hosiery Agents

Morris Henry

Richardson John


Cock & Falcon - Hogg Sarah & William (and farmers)

Punch Bowl - Wood Thomas (and cottager)

Joiners & Carpenters

Lee John

Lee William


Seardison Mary (day)


Clayton Henry

Culley George (and baker)

Glover Sarah (and cottager)

James Henry (and baker)

Richardson Paul (and beer retailer)

Wyld Elizabeth (and farmer)

Sinker Maker

Wyld Elizabeth

Straw Bonnet Maker

Burton Elizabeth


Clay William

Hind Joseph


Childs John (and joiner)

Johnson George (and joiner)

Rose Benjamin (and joiner)

Rose John (and joiner)

Tharratt Nathaniel (and joiner)

Places of Worship

St Swithin’s Church – Oldacres Rev’d Samuel Lealand, Curate.

Morning Service, half-past ten o’clock; afternoon, half-past two.

Particular Baptist Chapel – Ward Rev’d Samuel, Minister.

Morning Service, quarter to eleven o’clock; afternoon, two; every alternate Sunday evening, six.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Circuit Preachers. Afternoon service, half-past two o’clock; evening, six.

Free School

Oldacres Rev’d Samuel Lealand Master.


Nottingham, George Poole, Wednesdays and Saturdays 7 a.m. William Wright, Wednesdays and Saturdays eight o’clock

Back to top Next page