Woodborough’s Heritage

Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday

Countryside Treasures - A Women's Institute Survey 1968

Prepared for the Countryside Committee of Nottinghamshire County Council

As you may have heard the Countryside Committee of Nottinghamshire County Council has enlisted the aid of the Nottingham Federation of Women’s Institutes in the compilation of the record of treasures of Nottinghamshire which will then be kept among the County Archives. An open meeting to discuss Woodborough’s contribution for the record will be held at Mrs. C. G. Wardle’s, The Old Forge, Main Street on Monday 14th October 1968 which everyone with any contribution to make or any knowledge or interest in the history of the village is welcome to attend. A list of categories covered by this survey follows:

1. Main Buildings:

a. Sectarian - name, locate and state present use of Churches, Chapels, Meeting Places or burial grounds of any

religious sect.

b. Secular - name and locate Manor Houses, Granges, Halls, Schools, Mills, Farms and farm buildings, Tithe barns, Inns, Old Cottages (especially mention if you have a “cruck” cottage in your neighbourhood), etc.

c. Smaller items of historical value - name and locate dovecotes, whipping posts, village and market crosses, stocks, pillories, maypoles, ice houses, bear baiting posts, ducking stools, etc.

2. Scenic Features:

a.  Name and locate open spaces, commons, village greens, pounds, hen folds, etc.

b.  Tree formations - name and locate avenues, copses, spinneys, trees of special interest, etc.

c.  Water features - name and locate bridges, canals, ponds, wells, streams, fords, ferries, waterfalls, dew ponds, etc.

d.  Any other interesting features - name and locate any evidence of pre-historic occupation, Roman remains, barrows, battle sites, etc.

3. Crafts & Industries:

a.  Name, locate and state present use of buildings and implements connected with Agriculture (Blacksmith, Wheelwright, etc.).

b.  Name and locate and state present use of buildings and implements connected with Trade Industry (Basket Making, Weaving, Stockingers’ Shops, Throwsters’ Cottages, Rope Walks, etc.

c.  Name and locate Old Kitchen, Household and Dairy Equipment (e.g. Parish ovens, communal table mangles, spinning wheels, etc.).

4. Records:
Name and locate where possible records appertaining to charities, registers, deeds, enclosure awards, maps, guide books, historical documents, etc.

5. Anything:

Of interest you consider worthy of preservation not covered by the above categories viaducts, pillar boxes, birth places of famous people, etc.

Countryside Treasures - The Survey

The buildings, features, etc. of Woodborough which have been included in the Nottinghamshire Federation of Women’s Institutes survey will be published in instalments in the next few issues of this magazine.  The first section deals with Buildings and is divided into three parts:

a. Sectarian -

St Swithun’s Church

Central Methodist Chapel (ex Wesleyan)

Baptist Chapel

West End Methodist Chapel (ex Primitive) now being used as a garage

Burial Grounds -

Closed churchyard


b. Secular -
The Manor

The Hall

Woods Foundation School – 1878

Woodborough Mill – private residence

Grimesmoor Farm – mentioned in the Domesday Book

Hall Farm – 1710 – of architectural interest

Four Bells Inn

Nag’s Head Inn

Springwater Social Club

c. Smaller Items -
         Lace windows at 117 Main Street and Wood View, Shelt Hill.

          Bell tower at the Old Vicarage, used when it was a Day School prior to 1878.

          Wall spice cupboard (over 200 years old) at 161 Main Street.

Scenic Features -

Pinfold on Main Street

Lime trees (Bank Hill)

Chestnut Avenue (old drive to Woodborough Mill)

Spinney (Bank Hill Farm)

Ley’s Gorse (copse, Woodborough Mill)

Foxwood Camp (Roman site)

Stanley Wood and Stonepits Field (source of stone used to renovate the Church in the 19th century)

Crafts & Industries -

         Manor Farm Buildings (1834) built for breeding racehorses.

         Stocking Frame recently reconstructed in old Stockinger’s shop at 11 Main Street.

         Village cobblers shop at 162 Main Street.

         Stockinger’s shop at Wood View, Shelt Hill.

         Brewing copper at 161 Main Street.

Records -

All Parish records are lodged with the County Archivist at Nottinghamshire Archives.

The WI scrapbook is retained in the village.

Buckland’s History of Woodborough.

Sir Frank Small’s Paper on Stockingers written in 1959.

Woodborough Male Friendly Society records from 1820 in the village.

Charities -

William Edge Charity – 1796

Poor Lands Charity – 1599

Eden Charity

Famous People -

William Lee, inventor of the stocking frame and later Vicar of Calverton set up his

first frame at “The Homestead”, Main Street, Woodborough


Next page Back to top