Woodborough, a Sherwood Forest Village, recorded in Domesday
The free-holders in Woodborough in the year 1612, were Christopher Strelley, John Wood of Lambley, John Crofts of Oxton, William Owldney, John Clark, senior, Thomas Wyer, Henry Alvie, Nicolas Lees, etc.
In the year 1597, Feb. 27, James Chadock, or Chadwick, son of John Chadwick, or Chadock, was baptized.
The vicarage of Woodborough was eight marks, and the prebendary patron. It seems now to belong to those of Oxton, but being worth little or nothing a fair church is unsupplied.
Upon the top of the outside of the chancel in the stone, and in the windows are Arms of Strelley. Paly of six argent and azure, and that with a great cinquefoil gules, for Strelley of Woodborough. Argent a chief gules, and a Bendlet Azure, Cromwell.
In the church in a north window, gules on a Bend Argent three Crosslets Flory sable, Revesby. In the fourth side of the Chancel, Quarterly sable and Argent Gules a Crosse Flore Argent. Paly of six Argent and Azure a Canton (or quarter Gules). In the north of the Chancel Gules a Fesse countercompony Or and Azure, between six Crosseclossletts Argent. Gules a Lion Rampant Varry, a file of three Labells Or, Everingham. Gules a Bend between six Martlets Or, Monteney. Painted on the church wall, - Wood impaling Montague.
Thoroton's page 35
Woodborough, Lordship is open field, chiefly in the possession of Mrs Bainbrigge, and a Mr Edge, both inhabitants of this village. (a) The village consists of 100 dwellings, or upwards. The church is dedicated to St Swithin, has a nave and two side aisles, and a tower with 4 bells. The chancel windows were once rich with painted glass but now they are so filthy, broken and patched that little can be made out to please by description. A brass, in the chancel, says, “Hic Jacet Philippus Lacock de Woodborough et Interiore Templo Londinensi armiger &c. An. Ætat LXVIII Apr. IX-MDCLXVIII.” William Bainbrigge third son of William Bainbrigge, esq; died in 1737 in the 16th year of his age. Phillip Lacock died in 1707 aged 21. Charles Lacock, Esq.; died .in 1688 Here the water stock and stalls are very perfect. This is in the gift of Southwell Minster. Incumbent, --------- ---------------------, Vicar. King’s book £4.11s.5½d. Clear yearly value £13.0s.0d. Syn. and prox. and null.
(a) [Mrs Bainbrigge] The lady lives in an old hall house; built in a plain style. She is the most extraordinary character, for benevolence, that I have ever heard of. It will be an agreeable task for her biographer to enumerate her extensive charities when the world shall be deprived, by her death, of those beneficent acts which are now the theme and praise of every social and good mind. To attempt here to particularize those merciful and pious deeds, which have made her name dear to all who knew her, would be a task of difficulty, and might offend the serenity of that happy disposition which everyone who knows would surely study not to offend. May her years be long! Happiness she must possess in a superlative degree. May her death be like the setting sun, in a bright and calm evening when his rays, on leaving us, form a splendid and magnificent scene.
In Wodeburg was a certain great bovate of the king’s demesne of Ernhale, which Hugh de Nevill held within the farm of Ernhale by the gift of King John: it answered 28 shillings & 10 pence having a little bovate in Oxton which perfected it. In Wodeburg was 34 shillings rent of the prebend, which was Galfr’ the canons, and thirty hens, which the Archbishop gave to Thomas de Ripon in his absence.
Thoroton's page 34
There are divers copy-holders in fee parcel [freehold] of the prebendary’s manor.
Here was a manor in Wodeburg, called Rempstone's manor, which was by a fine, [year 1400] settled on William de Rempstone, and Agnes his wife for life; and afterwards on Sir John Leek, knight, John Folejamb, Norman Olivere, and William Joyce, and the heirs of John de Leeke.
Roger de Houton gave the land which he held here to the priory of Thurgarton, as in Hawton is said. This, I suppose, was of the fee of Limosin, most of which was held by the family of Sampson.
Raph de Limesi gave to the monastery of Hertford, a cell of St. Albans, the tithes of Hugh Sampson of Epperstone and of Thorpe. The house of Mr. Wood is in Epperstone parish, and the tithes of that land belonged to Hertford; and were granted, [9th February 1538] to Anthony Deny, esquire, and Joane Champernowne, as were all messuages, lands, tenements and heriditaments whatsoever in Lowdham, Woodborough, and Epperstone, late belonging to the priory of St. Mary by Hertford. Anthony Denny, and Johanne his wife [year 1546] had pardon for alienating all these tithes, great and small, in Epperstone, Woodborough, and Lowdham, to Henry Strelley, esquire.
The family tree for Wood of Woodborough (Middle Manor) is thus :- As above Fig 2.
Thoroton’s Visitation to Woodborough in 1677
The following pages are taken from "Thoroton's Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (1677) - Thurgarton Hundred. Rev'd W E Buckland also refers to Thoroton in his book, chapter 3.
THURGAR. HUND. THOROTON’S NOTTINGHAMSHIRE 31
W O O D B O R O U G H
U D E B U R G H
In Udeburg the book of Doomsday fhows that St. Mary of Sudwell had Sok to Nortwell, feven Bov. ad Geldam. The land two Car.
There was half a car. in demenfe, and two vill. and two bordars had one car. this belonged to Sudwell. a. Here one Clerk had under the Arch-bifhop (of York) whofe fee it was, one bov. ad Geldam. This concerned the prebend of Woodborough in that church, to which it ftill belongs. Here were alfo feveral manors of the land of the Tayns, one whereof before the conqueft Ulchel had, which paid to the gled for three bov. The land one car. There Aldene (anceftor of the family of Crumwell named in Lambley) after the conqueft had three villains, having half a car. This kept the old value of 5s. 4d. Another manor Ulchel likewife had, which paid for three bov. to the tax or geld. The land whereof was two car. he held it alfo after the conqueft of the King, and there had one car. and three vill. one bord, with one car. and ½ and one mill 20s. and one virgat of meadow, pafture wood two leu. long, five qu. broad: In the Confeffours time this was 20s. in Conquerours 30s. And Alvric in the Confeffors time had another manor, for which he was rated to the geld at five bov. The land two car. which feems to be managed when the Conquerors furvey was made, with three vill. one bord. There was alfo a mill 20s.
There was in Eprefton and Udeburg of Roger de Buflies fee. and a greater fhare of Raph de Limefies, as in Eprefton will be noted, where the family of Samfon the moft ancient tenants thereof chiefly refided.
Some of thefe Tayn-lands it feems came to be Peverell’s, of which honour Henry, fon [rather brother] and heir of Raph de Wodeburge, b. and the reft of his parceners, 21 E. 1 were certified to hold half a knight’s fee here, for which one only fuit was made to the court by the faid Henry.
John, the fon of Robert de Cantelupe, and Maud wife of the faid John, granted all the lands in Wodeburge c. which fhould happen to them after the death of fir Raph de Wodeburge, father of the faid Maud, to Henry de Wodeburge, and the heirs of his body; remainder to the right heirs of fir Raph: Witneffes to this were fir Walter de Ludham, fir Raph de Crumwell, fir John de Heriz, fir Richard Jorz, fir William de Arnale, knights Thomas de Rampfton, Reginald de Aflacton, &c.
d. In an ancient deed Emme, who had been wife of Raph de Wodeburch gave to Henry her fon of Wodeburch, her land of new Ham: witnefs Gulfr. Anglicus, Raph de Harnale. &c.
Raph de Wodeburg, knight, 54 H 3. e. paffed 10l. yearly, which he had of the gift of William de Huntercumb, to Henry de Wodeburg his brother, to be received of the Abby of Stratford, during his life.
a. Lib. Doomf. b. Teft. de Nev. c. Autog pen Car. Lacock, Gen. d. Aut. lb. e. Pen. Eund. C l
THOROTON’S NOTTINGHAMSHIRE THURGAR. HUND. 32
Walter de Huntercumbe, fon of fir William de Huntercumbe, knight, (on both whofe feals were two pair of Bars Gemelles, and the reft Billette) in the year 1275, agreed to give to fir Raph de Wodeburg, knight, for one hundred and five marks which he ought him, his freehold in Weft-Hammes, which happened to him of the inheritance of Alice de Bolebec his wife.
g. William de Huntycumbe gave to William de Wodeburk an hundred fhillings land, and yearly rent in the town of Roffe.
h. John Calfweyn quit-claimed to Henry de Wodeburgh his uncle, all the right he had in the lands and tenements which were fir William de Middiltons, Knight, his uncle alfo in Roffe, and of Clementia the daughter and heir of the faid fir William then likewife dead, which ought to come to him as next heir.
i. William Sampfon of Eperfton, 19 E. 1. gave to the Lady Clementia de Wodeburg his mother for her life, all his arable demenfe in Wodeburg.
k. Henry de Wodeburg, brother of Raph de Wodeburg, granted all his goods and chattles in his manor of Wodeburg, anno 1316 to William de Craye and Margery his wife.
Paganus de Vilers of Kynalton, knight, in 9 E. 3. l. Paffed two parts of the manor of Wodeborgh to Richard de Strelley, and Elena his wife, and the heirs and affigus of Richard, which Margery de Nowers fometime held for her life, of the inheritance of fir William de Cray, knight, and 11 E. 3. the third part of the faid manor, which defcended to him the faid Paganus, by right of inheritance after the death of Clementia his mother.
m. Alianor, fometimes wife of John de Lyfton, in her pure widowhood, 9 E. 3. paffed two parts of the manor of Wodeburgh, which Margery de Nowers fometime held for life of her inheritance, to Richard de Strelley, and Elena his wife.
Robert, fon of Walter de Strelley, had lands in Wodeburg, n. which William Midelton fometimes had to farm; his fon Sampfon de Strelley was father of this Richard: on the faid Robert de Strelleys feal within a fair circumfcription of his name, upon a large fhield, is, Paly of fix . On Raph de Wodeburgs is, Barulette a Stags head caboffed. And on Henry de Wodeborghs, when he confirmed all his freehold in Wodeburgh, o. which was fometimes fir Raphs, to fir William de Cray, knight, and Margery his wife, and the heirs of fir William, 8 E. 2. within a circumfcription of his name (but not upon a fhield) is a bucks or ftags head caboffed. On fir Paganus de Vilers his feals are Six Lioncells Rampant 3 2. 1.
This Richard de Strelley, and Elena had a fon and heir named William, who died before his father, and left a fon called Robert, who died childlefs, p. and a daughter named Elena married to Ivo Jeke of Preftwold, who by a fine at York, 16 R. 2. q. Fettled this manor on Thomas de Strelley, fon of Richard and Elena, and the heirs males of his body: remainder to Ivo and Elena, and the right heirs of Elena. Thomas had a son and heir called Richard de Strelley, who had alfo a fon and heir Richard, 16 H. 6. who died without any child, r. fo that John Strelley his brother was enfeoffed in his manor about 25 H. 6. Who had a fon called Robert Strelly of Woodborow, who, 9 H. 7. was bound to Simon Digby, efquire, in 40l. that he fhould neither
f: lbid. g: lb. h. lb. j: lb. k: lb. l: lb.pen. eund. C. L: m: Autog: pen: eund: C. L. n: lb. o: lb.pen: C. L.
p: Affif. apud. Not. 11 R.2. ro. 27. in dorfo. q: Fin. apud. ebor. mich. 16 R. 2. r: Ex eviden: ejufdem: C. L.
s. In Wodebourg was a certain great bovat of the king’s demenfe of Arnall, which Hugh de Nevill held within the farm of Arnall, by the gift of King John: it anfwered 28s. 10d. having a little bovat in Orton: which perfected it.
In Wodeburg was 34s. rent of the prebend, which was Galfr. the canons, and thirty hens, which the Arch-Bifhop gave to Thomas de Ripun in his abfence.
s: Teft:d Nev:
z. The free-holders in Woodborow in the year 1612, where Chriftopher Strelley, John Wood of Lamley, John Crofts of Orton, William Owldney, John Clark, fenior, Thomas Wyer, Henry Alvie, Nicholas Lees, &c.
a. In the year 1597, Feb.27, James Chadock, or Chadwick, fon of John Chadwick, or Chaddock, was baptized.
b. The vicarage of Woodborough was eight marks, and the prebendary patron. It feems now to belong to thofe of Orton, but being worth little or nothing a fair church is unfupplied.
Upon the top of the out-fide of the chancel in the ftone, and in the windows are
Arms of Strelley.
Paly of fix Arg and Az. and that with a great Cinquefoyle Gules, for Strelley of Woodborough.
Arg. a Chief Gules, and a Bendlet Azure, Crumwell.
t: Fin: a S: Hill: in 15: dies, a H: 4: u: Regift:de Thurg: p: 41. v: Mon: Angl: vol: 1: p: 331: w: Par: 2 pat: 29 H: 8:
x: Part: 14: pat: 37 H: 8: y: Ex Copia Vifitat: pen: Reafon Mel-lifh, Ar: z: Lib: Miff: libere tenent:
a: Ex Regift: paroch: de Woodbor: b: Mff: J:M:
THURGAR. HUND. ADDITIONS TO THOROTON. 35
In the church in a north window,
Gules on a Bend Arg. three Croflets Flory, fable, Revesby
In the fouth fide of the Chancel,
Quarterly fab. and Arg. Gules a Croffe Flore Arg.
Paly of fix Arg. and Azure a Canton (or quarter) Gules.
In the north of the Chancel
Gules a Feffe countercompony Or and Azure, between fix Croffeclofletts Arg.
Gules a Lion Ramp. Varry, a file of three Labells Or, Everingham.
Gules a Bend between fix Martlets Or, Monteney.
Painted on the Church wall, — Wood impaling Montague.
W O O D B O R O U G H
LORDSHIP is open field, chiefly in the poffeffion of Mrs Bainbrigge and a Mr Edge, both inhabitants of this village. (a)
The village confifts of 100 dwellings, or upwards.
The church is dedicated to St Swithin, has a nave and two fide aisles, and a tower with 4 bells. The chancel windows were once rich with painted glafs but now they are fo filthy, broken and patched that little can be made out to pleafe by defcription. — A brafs, in the chancel, fays “Hic Jacet Philippus Lacock de Woodborough et Interiore Templo Londinenfi armiger &c. An Ætat LXVIII Apr. IX MDCLXVIII.” William Bainbrigge third fon of William Bainbrigge, efq; died in 1737 in 16th year of his age. Phillip Lacock died in 1707 aged 21. Charles Lacock, efq; died in 1688. Here the water ftock and ftalls are very perfect.
This is in the gift of Southwel minfter. Incumbent, —–––- —–––––––, Vicar.
King’s book 4l. 11s. 5d.½ Clear yearly value 13l. os. od. Syn. and prox. null.
(a:) [Mrs Bainbrigge] The lady lives in an old houfe; built in a plain ftyle. She is the moft extraordinary character, for benevolence, that I have ever heard of: it will be an agreeable tafk for her biographer to enumerate her extenfive charities when the world fhall be deprived, by her death, of thofe beneficient acts which are now the theme and praife of every focial and good mind: To attempt here to particularize thofe merciful and pious deeds, which have made her name dear to all who know her, would be a tafk of difficulty, and might offend ferenity of that happy difpofition which everyone who knows would furely ftudy not to offend: May her years be long! Happinefs fhe muft poffefs in a fuperlative degree: May her death be like the fetting fun, in a bright and calm, evening when his rays, on leaving us form a fplendid and magnificent fcene.
The following plain English version of Thoroton's original text has fewer abbreviations. Place names are those used today, dates used in the original text, such as 1 E.3 would be translated as the 1st year of the reign of King Edward 3rd (1327-1377), but we have provided the year shown thus [year 1327].
Thoroton's page 31
Thoroton’s Visitation to Woodborough 1677 (plain text version)
Thoroton’s Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (1677) - Thurgarton Hundred
WOODBOROUGH - UDEBURG
In Udeburg the book of Doomsday shows that St. Mary of Southwell had jurisdiction for Norwell, 7 bovates for geld (tax). The land two carucates.
There was half a carucate in demesne, and two villeins and two bordars had one carucate. This belonged to Southwell. Here one Clerk had under the Archbishop (of York) whose see it was, one bovate for tax. This concerned the prebend of Woodborough in that church, to which it still belongs. Here were also several manors of the land of the Thanes, one whereof before the conquest Ulchel had which paid to the geld for three bovates. The land one carucate. There Aldene (ancestor of the family of Cromwell named in Lambley) after the Conquest had three villains, having half a carucate. This kept the old value of 5 shillings, four pence. Another manor Ulchel likewise had, which paid for three bovates to the tax or geld. The land whereof was two carucates, he held it also after the conquest of the king, and there had one carucate and three villeins, one bordar with one and a half carucates and one mill 20 shillings and one virgate of meadow, pasture wood two leugae long, five quarentens broad. In the Confessor's time this was 20 shillings, in the Conqueror's 30 shillings. Aluric in the Confessor's time had another manor, for which he was rated to the geld at five bovates. The land two carucates, which seems to be managed when the Conqueror's survey was made, with three villeins, one bordar. There was also a mill, 20 shillings.
There was in Epperstone and Udeburg of Roger de Buslie, and a greater share of Ralph de Limesie, as in Epperstone will be noted, where the family of Samson the most ancient tenants thereof chiefly resided.
Some of these Thane lands it seems came to be Peverils [William, son of William the Conqueror], of which honour Henry, son (rather brother) and heir of Ralph de Wodeburg and the rest of his parceners, [year 1293] were certified to hold half a knights fee here, for which one only suit was made to the court by the said Henry.
John, the son of Robert de Cantelupe, and Maud, wife of the said John, granted all the lands in Wodeburg which should happen to them after the death of Sir Ralph de Wodeburge, father of the said Maud, to Henry de Wodeburg, and the heirs of his body; remainder to the right heirs of Sir Ralph : Witnesses to this were Sir Walter de Lowdham, Sir Ralph de Cromwell, Sir John de Herz, Sir Richard Jorz, Sir William de Ernhale, knights, Thomas de Rempstone, Reginald de Aslockton, &c.
In an ancient deed Emmie, who had been wife of Ralph de Wodeburg, gave to Henry her son of Wodeburg, her land of new Ham: Witness Gulfr’ Anglicus, Ralph de Ernhale, etc.
Ralph de Wodeburg, knight [year 1269] passed £10 yearly, which he had of the gift of William de Huntercombe, to Henry de Wodeburg his brother, to be received of the Abbey of Stratford, during his life.
Thoroton's page 32
Walter de Huntercombe, son of Sir William de Huntercombe, knight, (on both whose seals were two pair of Bars Gemelles, and the rest Billeted) in the year 1275, agreed to give to Sir Ralph de Wodeburg,, knight, for one hundred and five marks which he ought him, his freehold in West Hammes, which happened to him of the inheritance of Alice de Bolebec his wife.
William de Huntercombe gave to William de Wodeburg one hundred shillings land, and yearly rent in the town of Ross.
John Calsweyn quit-claimed to Henry de Wodeburg his uncle, all the right he had in the lands and tenements which were Sir William de Middleton's, knight, his uncle also in Ross, and of Clementia the daughter and heir of the said Sir William then likewise dead, which ought to come to him as next heir.
William Sampson of Epperstone [year 1290] gave to the lady Clementia de Wodeburg his mother for her life, all his arable demesne in Udeburg.
Henry de Wodeburg, brother of Raph de Wodeburg, granted all his goods and chattels in his manor of Wodeburg, anno, 1316, to William de Craye and Margery his wife.
Paganus de Vilers of Kinoulton, knight, [year 1336] passed two parts of the manor of Wodeburg to Richard de Strelley, and Elena his wife, and the heirs and assigns of Richard, which Margery de Nowers sometime held for her life, of the inheritance of Sir William de Cray, knight, and [year 1337] the third part of the said manor, which descended to him the said Paganus, by right of inheritance after the death of Clementia his mother.
Eleanor, sometimes wife of John de Lyston, in her pure widowhood, [year 1336] passed two parts of the manor of Wodeburg which Margery de Nowers sometime held for life of her inheritance, to Richard de Strelley, and Elena his wife.
Robert, son of Walter de Strelley, had lands in Wodeburg, which William de Middleton sometimes had to farm; his son Sampson de Strelley was father of this Richardson the said Robert de Strelley seal within a fair circumscription of his name, upon a large shield, is, paly of six. On Ralph de Wodeburg’s, is, Barulette a Stags head cabossed. And on Henry de Wodeburg's, when he confirmed all his freehold in Wodeburg which was sometimes Sir Ralph’s, to Sir William de Cray, knight, and Margery his wife, and the heirs of Sir William [year 1315], within a circumscription of his name (but not upon a shield) is a bucks or stags head cabossed. On Sir Pagan de Vilers, his seals are Six Lioncells Rampant 3. 2. 1.
This Richard de Strelley, and Elena had a son and heir named William, who died before his father, and left a son called Robert, who died childless) and a daughter named Elena married to Ivo Jeke of Prestwold, who by a fine at York, [year 1392] settled this manor on Thomas de Strelley, son of Richard and Elena, and the heirs males of his body, remainder to Ivo and Elena, and the right heirs of Elena. Thomas had a son and heir called Richard de Strelley who had also a son and heir, Richard [year 1438] who died without any child so that John Strelley his brother was enfeoffed in this manor [year 1447] who had a son called Robert Strelley of Woodborough, [year 1494] who was bound to Simon Digby, esquire, in £40 that he should neither
Thoroton's page 33
cherish nor borrow any sum of goods, or money, of any persons, nor bind himself, nor mortgage, etc. He was, [year 1508] about to marry Agnes Whitladale of Tuxford, widow; but by a former wife he had John Strelley, who married Elizabeth, I think the daughter of Alverey Barwick, and by her had Henry Strelley, whose son Richard was his heir, and married Isabell, the daughter of Anthony Samon, but [year 1571] his brother Christopher Strelley was found his heir; who married Frances, the daughter of Edward Boun, but he likewise being hopeless of issue, settled this manor on John Bold his sister Isabell's son, whose son and heir Strelley Bold, sold it to Mr. George Lacock, whose son Philip Lacock pulled down the old house, wherein was the coat of Strelley, with a cinquefoil gules in the midst, in several windows, and hath built another which his son Charles Lacock now enjoys, with his mother, who is Mary, sister of William Cartwright of Ossington, and likewise of Frances, the wife of William Strelley of Ernhale, son and heir of the said Christopher Strelley by a second wife, after he had disposed of his inheritance as before is said. Mr. William Strelley left three daughters but no son.
The family tree for the Strelley’s of Woodborough is thus:- As above Fig 1.
THURGAR. HUND. THOROTON’S NOTTINGHAMSHIRE 33
cherish nor borrow any fum of goods, or money, of any persons, nor bind himfelf, nor mortgage, &c. He was, 23 H. 7. about to marry Agnes Whitladale of Tuxford, widow; but by a former wife he had John Strelley, who married Elizabeth, I think the daughter of Alverey Barwick, and by her had Henry Strelley, whofe fon Richard was his heir, and married Ifabel, the daughter Anthony Salmon, but 13 Eliz. his brother Chriftopher Strelley was found his heir; who married Frances, the daughter of Edward Boun, but he likwife being hopelefs of iffue, fettled this manor on John Bold his fifter Ifabel’s fon, whofe fon and heir Strelley Bold, fold it to Mr George Lacock, whofe fon Philip Lacock pull’d down the old houfe wherein was the coat of Strelley, with a Cinquefoyle voided Gules in the midft, in feveral windows, and hath built another which his fon Charles Lacock now enjoys, with his mother, who is Mary, fifter of William Cartwright of Offington; and likewife of Frances, the wife of William Strelley of Arnall, fon and heir of the faid Chriftopher Strelley by a fecond wife, after he had difpofed of his inheritance as before is faid. Mr William Strelley left three daughters but no fon. Fig’s 1 & 2:
THOROTON’S NOTTINGHAMSHIRE THURGAR. HUND. 34
There are divers copy-holders in fee parcell of the prebenderies manor.
Here was a manor in Wodeburgh called Rempftons manor, which was by a fine, 2 H 4
t. fettled on William de Rempfton, and Agnes his wife for life; and afterwards on fir John Leek, knight, John Folejamb, Norman Olivere, and William Jorfe, and the heirs of John de Leeke.
Roger de Houton gave the land which he held here to the priory of Thurgarton, u. as in Hawton is faid; this, I fuppofe, was of the fee of Limofin, moft of which was held by the family of Sampfon.
Raph de Limefi gave to the monaftery of Hertford, v. a cell of St Albans, the tythes of Hugh Sampfon of Aperfton, and of Torpe. The houfe of Mr Wood is in Eperfton parifh, and the tythes of that land belong to Hertford; and were granted, 29 H. 8. w. Feb. 9 to Anthony Denny, efquire, and Joane Champernowne, and were all meff. lands. tenements. and heriditaments whatfoever in Loudham,Woodborough,and Eperfton late belonging to the priory of St Mary by Hertford. Anthony Denny, and Johanne his wife, 37 H. 8. x. Had pardon for alienating all thefe tythes, great and fmall, in Eperfton, Woodborow, and Loudham, to Henry Strelley, efquire. Fig2
|Alan Henry Spree's book|
|Links to other websites|
|Locate our village|
|Navigate this site|
|Report a problem|
|100 - 114 St Swithuns Church - Index|
|115 - 121 Churchyard & Cemetery - Index|
|122 - 128 Methodist Church - Index|
|129 - 131 Baptist Chapel - Index|
|132 - 133 Institute - Index|
|100 - Church Introduction|
|101 - Church History from 1100|
|102 - Pevsners Buildings of England|
|103 - Train on Churches|
|104 - History of St Swithuns Bells|
|105 - Church Bells Project 2008|
|106 - Bell Ringers|
|107 - 50 Years of Peel Ringing|
|108 - Church Clock|
|109 - Church Mass Dials & Graffiti|
|110 - Church Organ|
|111 - Church Restorations|
|112 - Church Windows & Saints|
|113 - Prebends, Vicars & Patrons|
|114 - 600th Anniversary|
|115 - Churchyard Introduction|
|116 - Act of Parliament|
|117 - Survey of Churchyard Memorials|
|118 - Churchyard Survey (List of Burials)|
|119 - Churchyard Fauna & Flora|
|120 - Roe Hill Cemetery|
|121 - Roe Hill Cemetery (List of burials)|
|122 - Non-Conformists|
|123 - Primitive Methodists|
|124 - Primitive Methodists - The Story of the Years|
|125 - Wesleyan Methodists (New Chapel)|
|126 - Methodist Church from 1960|
|127 - Methodist Church 1985|
|128 - Methodist Church 2009 Renovations|
|129 - A History of the Chapel|
|130 - Baptist Chapel School (Lilly's School)|
|131 - Baptist Chapel internment|
|132 - The Institute from 1826|
|133 - Institute extracts from minutes|
|134 - 138 Woodborough Hall - Index|
|139 - 142 The Manor House Index|
|143 - Nether Hall|
|134.1 - Woodborough Hall 1066-2004|
|134.2 - Woodborough Hall (The Laycocks, Bainbrigges, Storys)|
|135 - Woodborough Hall Staircase windows|
|136 - Strelley Deeds of 1335 & 1337|
|137 - Woodborough Hall in 1966|
|138 - Woodborough Hall Restaurant from 2004|
|139 - Middle Manor from 1066|
|140 - Manor Farm & Stables|
|141 - Robert Howett & Mundens Hall|
|144 - Shops & Trades in Woodborough|
|145 - Woodborough Industrial & Provident Socy|
|146 - Co-op closure|
|147 - Woodborough Post Office & News|
|148 - Pubs & Beerhouses|
|148.1 - Cock & Falcon sale 1839|
|148.2 - Punch Bowl inquest 1847|
|148.3 - Assigns & Indenture 1856|
|150 - Woods School 1736-1878|
|151 - Woods School 1878-1968|
|152 - Woods School 1968-2007|
|154 - School Bell|
|155 - School Reunion 2004|
|156 - School Fence 2010|
|157 - Head Teachers|
|158 - Billy the Pig|
|159 - Millholme Models at the Old School|
|160 - Buildings of historic interest|
|161 - Brickmaking in Woodborough|
|162 - Calverton Lido|
|163 - Old Vicarage - an introduction|
|164 - Old Vicarage|
|165 - Old Post Office and Telephone Exchange|
|166 - The Woodborough Pinfold|
|167 - Pinfold Appendix|
|168 - Woodborough Dovecote|
|169 - Woodborough Mill|
|170 - Mills on the Doverbeck|
|171 - Woodborough Poor Houses|
|172 - Timmermans|
|174 - Yards in Woodborough|
|201 - 203 Buclkand's History of Woodborough|
|204 - 211 Buckland Chapters 1 to 8 - Index|
|212 - 218 Buckland Chapters 9 to 15 - Index|
|219 - 223 Framework Knitting Industry - Index|
|224 - 227 Community Studies - Index|
|228 - 242 Directories 1832 to1881|
|243 - 254 Directories 1883 to1899|
|255 - 265 Directories 1900 to1941|
|201 - Buckland - Introduction & Obituary|
|202 - Buckland Title & Preface|
|203 - Buckland Chapter List & Summaries of Content|
|204 - Buckland I - Woodborough Before The Conquest|
|205 - Buckalnd II - Woodborough at the Conquest|
|206 - Buckland III - The Lords of Woodborough|
|207 - Buckland IV - The Lacocks|
|208 - Buckland V - Southwell Minster & Woodborough Church|
|209 - Buckland VI - The Decay & Restoration of Woodborough Church|
|210 - Buckland VII - Southwell Minster & The Prebends|
|211 - Buckland VIII - The Prebends of Woodborough|
|212 - Buckland IX - Southwell Minster & The Reformation|
|213 - Buckland X - William Lee & The Stocking Frame|
|214 - Buckland XI - The Civil Wars|
|215 - Buckland XII - The Vicars of Woodborough|
|216 - Buckland XIII - The Woods & Wood's School|
|217 - Buckland XIV - Woodborough Hall|
|218 - Buckland XV - The Woodborough Registers & Papers|
|219 - Introduction to the History of FWK in Woodborough|
|220 - Antiquities, Trades & Manufactures Blackner 1815|
|221 - Trades & Manufactures extracts from Whites Directory 1864|
|222 - Buckland's Account of FWK 1896|
|223 - William Lee's Knitting Invention by Negley Harte|
|224 - 19th Century Woodborough|
|225 - Community Study 1967|
|226 - Community Study 1974|
|227 - Community Study 1990|
|228 - Shops & Trades from Census|
|229 - Shops & Trades - List|
|230 - Trade Directories Introduction & lists|
|231 - 1832 White's|
|232 - 1844 White's|
|233 - 1848 Lascelles & Hagar|
|234 - 1853 White's|
|235 - 1855 Kelly's|
|236 - 1864 White's|
|237 - 1868 Wright's|
|238 - 1869 Morris's|
|239 - 1871 Wright's|
|240 - 1874 Wright's|
|241 - 1879 Wright's|
|242 - 1881 Kelly's|
|243 - 1883 Wright's|
|244 - 1885 Wright's|
|245 - 1888 Kelly's|
|246 - 1889 Wright's|
|247 - 1891 Wright's|
|248 - 1893 Wright's|
|249 - 1894 White's|
|250 - 1895 Wright's|
|251 - 1895 Kelly's|
|252 - 1897 Wright's|
|253 - 1899 Wright's|
|254 - 1899 Kelly's|
|255 - 1900 Kelly's|
|256 - 1904 Kelly's|
|257 - 1908 Kelly's|
|258 - 1912 Kelly's|
|259 - 1916 Kelly's|
|260 - 1922 Kelly's|
|261 - 1925 Kelly's|
|262 - 1928 Kelly's|
|263 - 1932 Kelly's|
|264 - 1936 Kelly's|
|265 - 1941 Kelly's|
|300 - Charities|
|301 - Woodborough at Domesday|
|302 - Roffe's Domesday|
|303 - Nottinghamshire County Records of the 18th Century|
|304 - Thoroton's Parish Visitation 1677|
|305 - Thoroton Transactions 1908|
|306 - Thoroton subsequent visits 1911 to 1939|
|307 - Drummond's Parish Visitation 1764|
|309 - Frumenty Feast|
|310 - Liber Albus Book of Southwell|
|312 - Evening classes|
|313 - Rural District Nurse|
|314 - Church Band of Hope|
|315 - Bread Ovens|
|316 - Hearth Tax|
|317 - Land Tax|
|318 - Protestation Returns|
|319 - Carriers|
|321 - Bus Services to Woodborough|
|322 - Carol (The Woodborough)|
|323 - World Refugee Year|
|324 - Feast Steam Evenings|
|325 - Jubilee Year 1951|
|326 - Jubilee Year 1977|
|327 - Woodborough Village Sign|
|328 - Smalls Croft Maypole|
|329 - Woodborough Book Exchange|
|330 - Millennium Beacon|
|331 - Millennium Tapestry|
|332 - Newsletter|
|333 - Newsletter archives|
|334 - Wind Turbine|
|338 - Snowstorm - December 1990|
|339 - Services & Utilities|
|340 - Woodborough Plane Crash 1966|
|341 - Woodborough Plane Crash 50th anniversary|
|345 - Introduction to the History of Woodborough|
|346 - Joseph Marriott's History of Woodborough 1892|
|347 - Bosworth's Woodborough 1940|
|348 - Woodborough circa 1952|
|349 - Living in Woodborough in the 50's|
|350 - Woodborough in 1956|
|351 - Countryside Treasures by the WI 1968|
|352 - Nottinghamshire Village Book by Notts WI|
|353 - Woodborough: Down-Your-Way 1969|
|354 - History of Woodborough by Maureen Brackenbury 1970's|
|355 - History of Woodborough by Mannie Foster 1981|
|400 - 402 Drains & Dykes - Index|
|403 - 412 Flooding - Index|
|413 - 420 Woodlands - Index|
|421 - 437 Enclosure 1795 - Index|
|440 - 451 Land Misc - Index|
|400 - Introduction|
|401 - Woodborough Dykes at Enclosure 1795|
|402 - A Study of Land Drainage & Farming Practices|
|403 - Water Mains - A History of burst pipes|
|404 - Photographs from previous flooding|
|405 - Nottingham Evening Post Report - December 1994|
|406 - Flooding of the Sycke Dyke - January 1999|
|407 - The Co-op Site - August 2004|
|408 - Public Meeting for Woodborough Flood Precautions - January 2005|
|409 - Flooding in Woodborough - Summer 2007|
|410 - Additional Photographic record - Summer 2007|
|411 - A Public Meeting to discuss flooding in Woodborough - September 2007|
|412 - What has happened since 2007? This 2009 update provides the answers|
|413 - An Introduction to woodlands|
|414 - Stanley Wood|
|415 - Ploughman Wood|
|416 - Fox Wood|
|417 - Fox Wood 1941|
|418 - Fox Wood 1982 - A new future?|
|419 - Fox Wood Victoria County History|
|420 - Fox Wood 2005 Archaeological Dig|
|421 - Woodborough field names from 1400|
|422 - Woodborough in 1609|
|423 - Enclosure 1795 map|
|424 - Enclosure new intro (2)|
|425 - Post Enclosure 1798 field & plots|
|426 - Enclosure modern (1)|
|427 - Enclosure modern (2)|
|428 - Enclosure modern (3)|
|429 - Enclosure modern (4)|
|430 - Enclosure modern (5)|
|431 - Enclosure modern (6)|
|432 - Enclosure modern (7)|
|433 - Woodborough a Sherwood Forest Village|
|434 - Woodborough Parish Registers|
|435 - Woodborough a History of farming|
|436 - History of Farming|
|440 - Allotments|
|441 - Earthquakes or Mining Activity?|
|442 - Estate Sale 1876|
|443 - Estate Sale 1894|
|444 - Estate Sale 1922 (Catalogue)|
|447 - Private Road|
|448 - Orchards of Nottinghamshire|
|449 - Wind Water Pumps|
|450 - Woodborough in Bloom & Judging|
|500 - Woodborough United Brass Band|
|501 - Wednesday Club|
|502 - Woodborough Pioneer Club|
|503 - Horticultural Society|
|504 - Community Association|
|505 - Fosters a century as postmasters|
|506 - Girls' Friendly Society|
|507 - Male Friendly Society by Julie O'Neill|
|508 - Male Friendly Society by Peter Saunders|
|509 - Male Friendly Society dissolution|
|510 - Woodborough Parish Council|
|511 - Woodborough Parish Council reports|
|512 - Woodborough Photographic Recording Group|
|513 - Local History Group Programme of Events|
|514 - Court Leet Jury|
|515 - Court Leet admission of probate|
|517 - Woodborough Pig Club|
|518 - Nags Head Celery Show|
|People A to H 600+|
|People L to W 629|
|640 - Sundry deaths|
|650 - Bish Family|
|651 - Ward Family|
|652 - Alveys of Woodborough|
|652.1 - Alvey marriages|
|652.2 - Alvey Burials|
|600 - ALVEY William 1909-1986|
|601 - BAINBRIDGE Elizabeth|
|602 - BLAKE Stacey|
|603 - BROWN Rev'd George|
|604 - BUCKLAND Rev'd Walter E|
|605 - BURGESS David Olympic Torch Bearer|
|606 - EVANS Rev'd A J|
|607 - FOSTER John Mansfield 1912-2006|
|608 - GEE Connie|
|609 - HILL Charles Hose|
|610 - HILL Charles Hose - Services to Woodborough|
|611 - HOSKINS Shirley 1927-2010|
|620 - LEE William 1838-1920|
|621 - LICHFIELD Nina 1901-2002|
|622 - MARRIOTT Joseph|
|623 - PARKYNS Mansfield 1823-1894|
|624 - PARKYNS Mansfield Obituary|
|625 - RICHARDSON John|
|626 - SMALL Sir Frank|
|627 - STRELLEY Richard|
|628 - WHYSALL Bill 1887-1930|
|629 - WRIGHT Nora poems & photos|
|700 - War Memorial Introduction|
|701 - War Memorial WWI|
|702 - Woodborough during WWI|
|703 - War Memorial WWII|
|704 - Woodborough during WWII|
|705 - Woodborough in WWII by Mannie Foster|
|706 - German POW rescue act|
|707 - Woodborough Home Guard|
|800 - Footpaths Introduction|
|801 - Lapwing Trail|
|802 - WI Trail|